Berita Terbaru
Loading...
Saturday, October 11, 2014

Double Negatives

7:57 AM







A double negative is usually produced by combining the negative form of verb (e.g., cannot, did not, have not) with a negative pronoun (e.g., nothing, nobody), a negative adverb (e.g., never, hardly) or a negative conjunction (e.g., neither/nor).
  • I am not going to invite no one.
    (I’ll invite someone)
  • She can’t makes friends with nobody.
    (he can makes friends with anyone)
  • I didn’t see nothing
(He saw something)
Remember: A double negative gives the sentence a positive sense.
It also occur for words that is supposed as negative never, few, little, etc.
  • I never invite no one.
    (Saya pernah mengundang seseorang)
  • She does not have little information for you.
    (Dia punya banyak informasi untukmu)

What about a Triple Negative?
You do not see triple negatives often, but here is a witty one:
  • I cannot say that I do not disagree with you.
(This quote by Groucho Marx is a triple negative. If you follow it through logically, you'll find it means I disagree with you. Genius!)

0 comments:

Post a Comment