Berita Terbaru
Loading...
Wednesday, October 15, 2014

How to Say “Sorry” in English

7:07 AM


 

 

 

 

How to Say “Sorry” in English

Question: When do we apologise in English?
Answer: All the time! For everything!
Well, not quite, but English people apologise when:
1) We’ve done something wrong.
For exampleI step on a man’s shoe on the subway and he turns around looking angry. I automatically say ‘I’m sorry!’
2) When we interrupt someone else in conversation (often just before we are about to start an argument). We aren’t really at all sorry when we use it in this context.
For example:
George was saying ‘Yesterday I ate a sandwich, some rice, an apple, some sweets – ’
When Rebecca interrupted him, saying ‘I’m sorry but we need to get on with our work; can you stop talking about food please?’
3) To show our feelings when something bad happens to someone.
For example: My friend’s dog died last weekend, so I said ‘I’m very sorry to hear your sad news.’
4) To ask someone to repeat something.
For example: My friend is talking very quietly. I say ‘I’m sorry, can you say that again?’

Everybody makes mistakes. Learn how to apologise (say sorry) for your mistakes before you make them.
Ways to Apologise

General, all-purpose apologies
Example

‘I’m sorry’
 ‘I’m sorry if…’ 
‘I was wrong’ 
‘I am /was in the wrong’ 



‘Excuse me’ 

I’m sorry if I made you feel bad.’

I was wrong to suggest that we take this bus. Now we’re lost. I’m sorry.’
‘I realise now that I was in the wrong when we had that argument’
When pushing your way off the subway, you say ‘(please)excuse me!’


In informal situations (to friends, in everyday conversation)
Example

‘I’m an idiot’ 
‘I was out of order’ 

‘I messed up’ 


‘I shouldn’t have said that’ 



‘I made a stupid mistake’ 

‘I’m sorry I got so drunk last night. I’m an idiot.’
‘I was out of order when I called you those bad names.’
‘I know I shouldn’t have gambled all my money away. I messed up.’lost. I’m sorry.’

during an argument with their parents a teenager might say ‘I hate you!’ But later they apologise: ‘Sorry, I shouldn’t have said that, I don’t really hate you.’
if a man is having an affair and his wife finds out he might say ‘It was only one time, I made a stupid mistake!’


In formal situations (at work, in a letter, in emails)
Example

‘Pardon me!’ (spoken) 
‘I beg your pardon’
‘I must apologise’ 
‘Please forgive me’
‘I hope that you can forgive me’
 ‘I cannot express how sorry I am’
‘It / (something) was inexcusable’ or ‘There is no excuse for my behaviour’
if you accidentally walk into someone you say ‘Pardon me!’

I must apologise for being so rude to you.’



‘Calling you incompetent at the meeting was inexcusable


To emphasise how you feel

Examples
I'm really sorry... 
I'm really sorry, Pete, I didn't mean to lose your book.
I'm so sorry... 

I’m very sorry…
I’m genuinely sorry…
‘I’m awfully / terribly sorry’
I'm so sorry I forgot your birthday, Oliver!
To say why you're sorry 
Examples
Sorry about... 
Sorry about the mess. I'll clear up later.
Sorry for... 
Sorry for taking your DVD.







Language for accepting apologies
Examples
That's OK.
I'm really sorry, Pete, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings.
That's OK.
No problem.
I'm so sorry I forgot your birthday, Oliver!
No problem.
Don't worry about it.
I'm sorry about the trouble I've caused.
Don't worry about it.
No worries.
I'm sorry for drinking all the milk.
No worries.





Vocabularies

to apologise
to say sorry, to ask for forgiveness, to express regret
an exclamation
a word, phrase or sentence that is shouted out suddenly, often through surprise or anger
to hurt someone's feelings
to make someone feel upset or unhappy
a misunderstanding
this can mean 'a small disagreement'
trouble
unhappiness, distress, worry or danger
to be out of order (informal)
to be impolite or rude
Common Gestures that go with Apologies
Eye contact (look into the other’s person’s eyes as you say “sorry”)
Hold one hand in front of your mouth after you make a mistake
Hold a hand over your heart as you say sorry
Wide eyes and mouth show how sorry you are
When words are not enough:
bring flowers
bring a hot coffee or tea
leave an apology phone message
send an e-card
Slang for “I’m sorry” 
My bad (common among teenagers)
Whoops (casual)
Oops, sorry. (casual or sarcastic)

0 comments:

Post a Comment